Oslo's most famous hotel meets one of the world's strictest environmental requirements. Grand Hotel Oslo by Scandic was awarded the official Nordic environmental certification "Swan label" in November 2019.
– The Nordic Swan Ecolabel sets the world's strictest environmental requirements for hotels. It commits us to some very tough measures, while giving us something to strive for. Therefore, we are extra proud that we have reached the requirements. We now look forward to continuing the work of offering our guests the most environmentally friendly product possible, says Toril Flåskjer, general manager at Grand Hotel Oslo. Reducing the environmental footprint of the nearly 150-year-old hotel presents several challenges and, not least, hard work. The Nordic Swan Ecolabel's requirements are tightened and updated at regular intervals.
The Nordic Swan Ecolabel sets strict, objective requirements for hotels in a number of areas, such as water consumption, energy consumption, chemical use and the use of disposable items. Grand Hotel Oslo works broadly to reduce the hotel's overall environmental impact.
Here are just a few examples of the hotel's measures:
- The hotel has cut down on disposable products and plastic packaging.
- A number of products, such as napkins and printed matter, have been replaced with Nordic Swan Ecolabelled alternatives.
- The hotel uses detergents with less environmental toxins.
- Waste is sorted in the conference department and from guest rooms.
- The hotel's menus have several vegetarian and organic choices.
Read more about the Nordic Swan Ecolabel and the environmental requirements for hotels, restaurants and conference facilities at Svanemerket.no
Grand Hotel Oslo by Scandic received the Nordic Swan Ecolabel for the first time in November 2019, and has been recertified every year since then.