Grand Hotel Oslo is located right in the heart of the city, on the parade street Karl Johan, with many attractions and shopping just outside the door.
The Grand Hotel was opened in 1874 by confectioner Julius Fritzner, after Professor Chr. Heiberg's three-storey private residence had been converted into a hotel. The café was opened first. The necessary remodeling was carried out by architect Jacob Nordan, and the decoration work by Fritzner's good friend Wilhelm Krogh, who was a decoration painter and theater painter at the Kristiania Theater.
Originally, the café was raised above street level, and guests had to climb an external staircase, but in the late 1870s the floor was lowered and the premises redecorated. From that point on, the café became the gathering place for all of Kristiania. Professor Christen Heiberg's three-storey house on the corner of Karl Johan street 31 was one of numerous distinguished bourgeois houses that were built around 1840 along "den nye Slotsvej", as Karl Johan was called in the early days.